Wednesday, 28 February 2018

Looking at first plates

A day after I had plated my first culture, I looked at them with Megan.  In a natural environment of 25 degrees C they should grow overnight.  You can see from this initial growth, that I have spread the culture correctly on this plate.  Using a loop (a small plastic rod with a loop at one end), I had spread bacteria in solution as follows:  first I spread a concentrated solution in four closely aligned strokes, I then turned the petri dish in a clockwise direction and 'caught' the edge of the concentrated solution to make another four lines which were less concentrated.  Lastly I turned the petri dish around in a clockwise direction again, "caught' the edge of this less concentrated solution and made a final squiggle isolating the culture even more.  This pattern of application is a universal way of plating cultures.