Wednesday, 28 February 2018

Plating bacteria for the first time

Bacteria samples from the Bioblitz area were collected, and sent from Hamilton up to Mount Wellington overnight for analysis.  Megan showed me how the samples are recorded and then plated on different media. The samples can be identified by monitoring the growth of cultures in different media.  Six different media were used.

There were a bewildering number of petri dishes to plate and keep track of.

Records were kept of each sample

I observed Megan's practised technique.

After observing Megan's very practised technique, I practised plating myself for the first time. 
 I found it difficult to remember all the steps so that all the cultures and the equipment was not contaminated at any time; eg, using a new sterile loop for each new culture, working from the side rather than from the top, keeping my head out from under the hood, etc.